One way for a brand to win in the marketplace is to be an expert on a particular topic or on behalf of a specific customer group. In this way, the brand becomes the first one the target market thinks of associated with a particular product category or need.
Following are examples of expert retail brands:
- Bass Pro Shops - fishing
- Orvis - fly fishing
- Michaels - arts and crafts
- West Marine - boating supplies
- DXL DestinationXL - clothing for big and tall men
- Lane Bryant - plus size clothing for women
- lululemon - athletic clothes for yoga
- TYR - competitive swimwear
- Spencers - novelty items for teenagers
- Adventure Scuba - scuba diving equipment
- Light Bulbs Unlimited - light bulbs
There are many more local examples of very specialized retail stores. This specialization allows a brand to become the first that comes to mind associated with a particular customer need or product category. It also allows the brand to anticipate and even lead customer needs within the category. Expertise and focus is one way to create relevant brand differentiation.