I have read more than 300 brand management and marketing books throughout my career. A few are excellent while many just repeat what books before them have said. Here are my favorite brand management and marketing books:
- Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind by Al Reis and Jack Trout - A brand needs to own one thing in the mind of the consumer.
- Differentiate or Die: Survival in Our Era of Killer Competition by Jack Trout - This book focuses on differentiation, a central aspect of branding. I have a lot of respect for Jack Trout's thinking.
- Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders by Adam Morgan - Most brands are not category leaders. This book is for those brands. It has many great ideas for competing effectively.
- Brand Aid: A Quick Reference Guide to Solving Your Branding Problems and Strengthening Your Market Position, second edition by me (Brad VanAuken) - A practical, comprehensive guide to brand management and marketing
- Ogilvy on Advertising by David Ogilvy - While the book was first published in 1983, it is still a "must read" if you are responsible for advertising.
- Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant by W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne - This is a seminal book about strategy and innovation.
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, revised edition by Robert B. Cialdini, Ph.D. - Marketers need to know how to influence people. This book is all about influence and persuasion.
- The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile, Applications, Blogs, News Releases & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly, 5th edition by David Meerman Scott - A very practical book for online marketing strategies and tactics.
- Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future by Peter Thiel with Blake Masters - A great business strategy book with implications for branding.
If you haven't read all of these books, I recommend that you do. Happy reading!