TODAY, HAVING an online presence is mandatory for any brand. If people want to find out more about your brand, it is very likely that their first step is to search for it using Google or another search engine. They may search from their laptop or tablet computer, but increasingly they may perform this search from their smartphone.
Key considerations in online brand building:
- When building brands online, content is king. If your brand is not associated with continuous stream of useful or entertaining content, it will be taken far less seriously.
- The online medium invites feedback and engagement. Build this into your brand’s online experience.
- Visuals (including videos) are becoming increasingly important to any online brand experience.
- An important benefit of the online medium is that it makes it possible for your brand’s messages to go viral. There are specific strategies and tools to help you initiate and accelerate this viral process.
- As with any other brand activity, you must start by defining your target audiences.
- Furthermore, your brand must have a unique value proposition and you must be very clear about your brand’s promise.
- The Brand Website
- The Importance of Content
- The Power of Blogs
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Online Advertising
- Using Social Media
- Web Analytics
- E-Mail Marketing
- Online Public Relations
- Mobile Apps
- QR Codes
Click here to purchase a copy of Brand Aid, second edition.
A very useful book focused on online marketing is David Meerman Scott's The New Rules of Marketing & PR, 5th edition, available here. Another useful book is Ann Handley's Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content, available here.